Greetings Nelson Navigators!
At Nelson Elementary, we are working together to support our students as they Navigate their Nelson Way by following the STARs. Nelson students Show Kindness, Take Responsiblity, Act Safely, and Respect Everyone & Everything. Thank you for partnering with us!
As we gear up for the coming school year, we look forward to serving our Nelson community back in person! Our 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL for Grades 1-5 is September 7, 2021 . Kindergarten students begin on September 10, 2021. Students will receive class placement information in the mail near the end of August. Be watching your mailbox! OPEN HOUSE dates are September 1st for Kindergarten through 2nd Grade Students and OPEN HOUSE for Grades 3-5 Students in September 2nd. Both events will be from 4:00-5:00 PM. We are excited to meet you!
It is an exciting time of year at Nelson Elementary. Our building has been cleaned and is ready for use! Our teachers are already coming back in to start decorating and organizing classrooms and we are planning instruction and fun for the upcoming school year! We are excited to see our returning students and meet all of our new families, as well.
As a parent, I know that August is full of questions and excitement! While we do not have every detail yet, we wanted to share what we do know so that you can start preparing for the 21-22 school year.
Here is what we are planning so far:
- We will be following the guidelines set forth by our Governor and Health Department
- We are planning on full school days, 5 days a week 8:35 - 3:05
- We are planning on all staff, students, and visitors wearing masks regardless of vaccination status
- We are planning on 3 ft social distancing in classrooms and 6 ft distancing in common areas
- We are planning on being flexible and transparent if things change
- August 24th- Nelson Office Opens 9:00-Noon/1:00-3:00
- August 24th- Classroom Teacher Placements will be shared
- September 1st – Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd Grade Open House 4:00-5:00
- September 2nd- 3rd, 4th & 5th Grade Open House 4:00-5:00
- September 7th- First Day of School: Grades 1-5
- September 10th- First Day of Kindergarten
Please save the date for our Open House on September 1st for Kindergarten through 2nd Grade and September 2nd for 3rd through 5th Grade. Each event will be from 4:00-5:00 PM. We are not sure if this will be in person or via zoom/ video. We will let you know more details in the upcoming weeks.
Incoming Kindergarten Students & Families
The first day of school for Kindergarten is September 10th. This means that you do NOT send your student to school on September 7th - 9th. You will be hearing from your child's teacher towards the end of August to schedule a meeting. If you enrolled this summer, you will hear from your child’s teacher once we have received all of the enrollment information from the district office.
School Supply List
- Resuable water bottle
- School Supply Box
- Headphones/Earbuds w/ microphone if possible (Grades K-5)
- 3 Ring Binder & pencil box (4th-5th grade only)
*All other supplies will be provided by the school
Medications – Life-threatening Conditions - Vaccinations
We want to make sure that all students can start the school year on time. If your child requires medication at school or has a life-threatening condition, please provide the school with authorizations for your child's medication and treatments for life-threatening conditions prior to school starting on September 7, 2021. School nurses will start back to work the last week of August and will be ready to prepare care plans and train staff.
*New doctor orders are needed each year for medications required at school.
We look forward to collaborating with our families and our community to meet the needs of Nelson students. We encourage families to stay connected with us through the school year. Please email us, call us, and check our website regularly for information about school events and activities. You can also find information on the Nelson Elementary PTA Facebook page. It is our goal to communicate with our community to promote student learing. Our school hours are 8:35 AM to 3:05 PM.
We look forward to a great year!
Tami Nelson, Principal