Nelson Elementary School
One of the district’s newest schools, Nelson Elementary officially opened its doors in 2009. But the Nelson name isn’t new in the Bethel School District. Nelson Elementary was named in honor of the Nelson family, who were longtime supporters of the district. The site of the school was known for more than 85 years as Nelson Farm, the name of the Swedish immigrants who moved to the area in 1917. The family not only had geographical connections to Bethel, but some of the Nelsons actually worked in the district. George Nelson was a custodian at Elk Plain and his wife Helen was a secretary at Bethel Middle School and later the superintendent’s secretary.