Instructional Paraeducator Requirements
House Bill 1115, passed by the Washington State legislature, and Senate Bill 6388 require that all Paraeducators meet Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requirements.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
For a Paraeducator and/or Substitute Paraeducator to work in an instructional position, they must be Highly Qualifiied:
- Be 18 years or older
- Hold a high school diploma or its equivalent, AND have one (1) of the following:
- Hold an Associate Degree, or higher; OR
- Completed 72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits of Higher Education, 100 level or above; OR
- Passed the ETS Parapro Assessment, scoring 461 or higher; OR
- Completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council.
Click below for more information