House Bill 1115, passed by the Washington State legislature, and Senate Bill 6388 require that all Paraeducators meet Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requirements.
What Does This Mean?
For a Paraeducator and/or Substitute Paraeducator to work in an instructional position, they must be Highly Qualifiied:
- Be 18 years or older
- Hold a high school diploma or its equivalent, AND have one (1) of the following:
- Hold an Associate Degree, or higher; OR
- Completed 72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits of Higher Education, 100 level or above; OR
- Passed the ETS Parapro Assessment, scoring 461 or higher; OR
- Completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council.
Bethel Schools offers the ETS Parapro Assessment
- All sessions are computer based.
- SEATS ARE LIMITED. Please email Monica Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat.
- Testing sessions are open to Bethel Schools personnel and substitutes only.
- The fee is $55.00 payable online upon receiving an invitation to attend. Instructions on how to make the payment will be included with email invitation.
Click below for more ParaPro Assessment information and preparation materials:
SPED Paraeducators & Washington State Core Competencies
Washington State requires that all Special Education Paraeducators must complete the 14 Core Competencies.
These competencies are available in three groups:
- Competencies 1 - 6, available online
- Competencies 7-11 & 13, available online
- Competencies 12 & 14, available through Special Services
Online training opportunities at: www.paraeducator.com.
QUESTIONS? WANT MORE INFO?
For more information regarding the core competencies, please call (253) 683-6926.