Getting Ready for School
- Have your child put everything they carry in a backpack or school bag.
- Have your child brightly dressed and easy to see.
- Arrive at the bus stop five (5) minutes before the scheduled pickup.
Walking to the Bus Stop
- Walk young children to the bus stop and have older children walk in groups.
- Walk on the sidewalk or safe walking path. When there is no sidewalk and you have to walk on the road, be sure to walk facing traffic.
- When crossing a street, look left, right, and left again. Walk across a street. Do not run.
- Cross streets at corners and use crosswalks whenever possible.
- Be careful around parked cars. Driver’s coming down the street cannot see you.
- Listen for the sound of car motors, sirens and horns before stepping into the street.
Waiting at the Bus Stop
- Have your child wait calmly at the bus stop. Playing, pushing, shoving and running are dangerous near roadways and traffic.
- Have your child stand at least ten (10) feet from the road while waiting for the bus.
Getting On and Off the Bus
- Have your child always cross in front of the bus, never behind.
- Teach children to wait until the bus comes to a complete stop, the red stop lights are activated, and the driver signals it is safe to cross.
- Remind children to remain alert to other drivers when entering and exiting the bus.