No Excuses University at Frederickson Elementary
Frederickson is a No Excuses University School. No Excuses University (NEU) was founded by Damon Lopez in 2006. As a No Excuses University, your student's school demonstrates a commitment to the development of the Six Exceptional Systems and meets the criteria for membership in the No Excuses University Network of Schools. Thank you for your support throughout the school year as your student's school strives to develop a Culture of Universal Achievement where all students can achieve their goals and earn their success!
Frederickson's Six Exceptional Systems:
- Culture of Universal Achievement: A belief that ALL students can learn and that it is the school's job to make this happen.
- Collaboration among staff, working together to come up with unique solutions for student learning.
- Standards Alignment: Aligning our teaching with what the state standards require students to know.
- Assessment: Creating an assessment plan so that we can see where students are at and how we can help them improve.
- Data Management: Analyzing data to see trends in how our students are doing, and being able to share this data with students so they can set goals.
- Interventions: Working with at risk students who are behind in their learning.
NEU is the idea that all students deserve the opportunity to be educated in a way that prepares them for school after high school. It brings together a culture of universal achievement and a college type atmosphere. Here are some of the things that we are doing to promote this:
- Wear our NEU t-shirts every Monday, our University t-shirts every Wednesday, and our Spirit gear every Friday
- Each class has adopted a university and has or will learn its cheer
- Promote college readiness through Word of the Week (WOW)
- Students write goals and action plans for achieving their goals
- Family University Nights to promote learning and college readiness
- College bulletin boards highlighting where our staff went to college
- Use NEU student planners in the classroom and at home
- All cheer "We're getting reading for college!" during morning announcements
Love and Logic
Our school is an “Love and Logic School”. To find out more about “Love & Logic” please visit http://www.loveandlogic.com/ for free articles and/or pod casts. Many of our staff members have been trained in Love & Logic techniques. The Love & Logic philosophy is part of our school culture.
Our school colors are: blue, tan, white and silver. Our students are not required to wear uniforms.
Jamie Smith, a student previously from Graham-Kapowsin High School, created our school mascot. Our logo is airplanes of all kinds. You will see a variety of airplanes throughout the school.
FREDERICKSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
17218 74th Avenue East
Puyallup, WA 98375
Principal: Marie Poch
Associate Administrator: Stephanie Koehnke
School Secretary: Jo Caseman
Office Clerk: Gina Fort
Health Clerk/Attendance: Zenaida Lucero
Frederickson is a positive, safe environment focused on the academic and personal growth of every student, supported by loving and engaging staff who prepare our students for their futures beyond high school.