June 11, 2019: The bid for the seismic improvements project has been awarded to J.A.M. Construction, Inc. of Olympia, Washington.
May 28, 2019: The bid for the portable improvements at Roy Elementary, Bethel High School and Cedarcrest Middle School has been awarded to Robbins and Company Housemoving, Inc. of Burien, Washington.
May 28, 2019: The bid for the exterior painting and envelope repairs project at Roy Elementary, Pioneer Valley Elementary and Frontier Middle School has been awarded to Depaolo's Painting, Inc. of Spokane, Washington.
April 23, 2019: The bid for the interior painting projects at Graham Elementary and Camas Prairie Elementary have been awarded to SCF General Contractors, LLC of Puyallup, Washington.
Keeping things running smoothly
Maintenance project list for the 2019/20 school yearOur Construction Department has released their list of maintenance projects for this school year, and as always, it’s an impressive one that covers many areas of the district.
Note: None of these projects are funded by our recently-approved bond. That money is reserved for the projects put before voters on the February ballot. You can find monthly bond project updates at bethelsd.org/bond
With fencing projects that are already in the permitting stages at North Star, Naches Trail, and Kapowsin elementary schools it’s going to be a busy year!
Some of the big projects are:
- Front office remodels at Camas Prairie and Centennial elementary schools
- New floor coverings at Bethel and Frontier middle schools
- Tennis court resurfacing at Spanaway Lake High School
With 221 portable classrooms in the district, you’d think there would be no shortage of repairs that are needed. But our Director of Construction and Planning, Cathie Carlson, said knowing how critical portables are to our growing district, they’ve stayed on top of the necessary repairs and upgrades. “We’re actually catching up because we’ve been doing so many for the last three or four years,” she said while presenting the project list at a recent School Board meeting.
Thanks to that diligent work, this year only three portables will see repairs: two at Camas Prairie Elementary, and one at Nelson Elementary.
- Bethel High School
- Centennial play shed
- Cougar Mountain Middle School
- Educational Service Center Building #1
- Elk Plain
- Exterior — Centennial Elementary
- Interior — Camas Prairie Elementary classrooms
- Interior — Graham Elementary classrooms
You can find the recently completed list of 2018/19 Maintenance Projects by clicking here.
Summer maintenance wrap-up
This was a busy summer for our Construction Department, as they took on and completed a wide variety of maintenance projects to keep our students and staff safe.
The following projects were all general maintenance projects. No money from the 2019 Bond was used to complete them.
Exterior painting and repairs were completed at Frontier Middle, Pioneer Valley and Roy elementary schools. Interior painting was done at Camas Prairie and Graham elementary schools.
Roof replacements were completed at Centennial, Naches Trail, and all buildings at Roy Elementary. Portable roof repairs were also completed at Cedarcrest Middle, Bethel High, and Roy Elementary.
This was the end of the first year of our Hazard Mitigation Projects. Focused on seismic improvements, these projects saw the anchoring of the roof to the walls in Bethel Middle’s auxiliary gym, the anchoring of the roof to the walls at Elk Plain K-8, and the anchoring of the masonry walls to the framing at the Operations Service Center.
14 New Portable Classrooms Added
- Bethel High School — two double dry portables
- Elk Plain — one double dry for SPED program
- Graham Elementary — one double dry portable
- Spanaway Lake High School — three double dry portables
Read more here.
Summer Projects 2019
This is shaping up to be another busy summer for our Maintenance Department. From major roof repairs to classroom painting projects, our buildings are sure to be busy with activity while students are enjoying the summer sunshine. Here's a list of some of the major projects that will be undertaken this summer.
- New boilers at Cougar Mountain Middle and North Star Elementary
- New portables at Spanaway Lake High School (3 double portables), Bethel High School (2 double portables), Graham Elementary (1 double portable) and Elk Plain School of Choice (1 double portable)
- Portable repairs at Bethel High (9 portables), Cedarcrest Middle 6 portables), and Roy Elementary (3 portables)
- Exterior painting and repairs at Frontier Middle, Pioneer Valley Elementary and Roy Elementary
- Interior painting at Camas Prairie and Graham elementaries
- Emergency Generator at Educational Service Center Building #2
- Dry sprinkler replacement system at Frontier Middle
- Roof replacements at Centennial, Naches Trail and Roy elementaries
- Resurfacing of tennis courts at Graham-Kapowsin High School
- Parking lot improvements at Bethel Middle and Roy Elementary
We will also begin the first year of our Hazard Mitigation Projects, which include seismic upgrades at Bethel Middle School (anchor roof to walls in the auxiliary gym), Elk Plain (anchor roof to walls), and the Operations Service Center (anchor masonry walls to framing).
All of these projects are separate from the 2019 Bond that will construct three brand new schools and renovate and expand other schools in the district. You can find updates on the bond-funded projects at: bethelsd.org/bondprojects
To help protect taxpayer investments in our school buildings, all schools built new or new-in-lieu since 1994 are required to be inspected as part of the Asset Preservation Program. This program reviews:
• Foundations/Building Drainage
• Exterior Walls
• Interior Construction
• Fire Protection
Read more here.