ATTENDANCE - IT'S IMPORTANT
Why Regular Attendance Matters:
- Key Academic Concepts are being covered EVERYDAY!
- Time on task on a DAILY basis is needed to learn basic academics
- ONE missed day of school = as many as THREE days of catch up for a child to learn all that was missed (e.g., miss 9 days of school a year = a month of schooling lost)
- The HABIT of going to school is lie learning to go to work - it's a child's job
- School attendance lays the foundation for whether a children will graduate or drop-out from high school.
What can I do?
- Value education and give it a high priority in your family. Convey a positive attitude about school. Let your child know that education is the key that will open many doors in the future unlike any other key.
- Get involved with your child's school - through volunteering, communicating with the teacher frequently, checking homework. If it is important to you, it will be important to them.
- Make doctor appointments on days when school is closed or after/before school.