Hello, North Star Elementary students and parents! My name is Mary Baisa, the school counselor.
As a School Counselor, I perform the following roles in order to promote positive development in academic, career, and personal/social domains:
- Individual counseling
- Small group counseling
- Classroom Guidance Lessons
- Attend and participate in academic intervention meetings
- Observe students in various school environments
- Support students and staff
- Consult and collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators, and students
- Respond to school crisis and emergency situations
- I work closely with families in need! Please call me if you need help!
- Provide information and resources to parents on a variety of issues
My job is to make sure that all students are happy and safe at school.
There are many ways that kids end up in conversation with me/ in my office; here are the most common ways:
- Self-referral: Students are able to give me notes if they wish to visit with me or let their teacher know. This is a great way for kids to advocate for themselves when they have something they want to talk about.
- Staff-referral: Teachers and other NS adults come to me when there are social-emotional concerns or when there's a behavior that they would like help with.
- Referral from home: Parents and guardians are welcome to call me with questions or concerns that they have. If there is something that has the potential to impact their time at school, I would like to work with you to help support them while they're here.
- Peer-referral: When students see a friend or classmate in need of help, they can leave me a note to express their concerns.
I can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 253.800.8870.