Principal’s Message 1/14/19
Another week down and just a few more to go before we are officially half way through. Just 13 days until progress reports. Does your student need a little extra time or assistance? Connect with their teacher for tutorial time and/or FLASH.
SOCIAL: We are having our Winter Sports 1 social with games, dancing and tons fo fun on Thursday, Jan 17. $4 with ASB and $6 without. Concessions will be available for purchase. If students need the activity bus, they can sign up with Mrs. Drury.
Art and Technology Fair (repeat): Mark your calendars for the annual Technology Fair and Art Festival! The event is scheduled for January 26 at Spanaway Lake High School from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be lots to do and see including a coding creation station, escape rooms, a robotics competition, and incredible art displays from across the district. We hope to see you there!
DEAR (repeat): We are starting a new program with Drop Everything And Read(DEAR) time on Mondays during Advisory. So help your child pick out a great book to read!
DISTRICT NOTEWORTHY NEWS:
- The deadline to register online to vote in the February bond election is TODAY. If you are not already registered to vote, please do so today. It only takes two minutes. sos.wa.gov/elections/register.aspx
- Our School Board voted unanimously to put another bond before the voters this February. The February bond is very similar to the bond that failed in November. There are a few small changes based on community feedback, but the overall cost is the same. If approved, the bond would build three brand new schools, including a brand new Bethel High School. It would also renovate and expand six of our other schools, including a new wing on Graham-Kapowsin High School. Learn more at bethelsd.org/bond
- The Bethel School District is looking for outstanding certificated candidates to join our team for the 2019-20 school year! To be considered, all you need to do is apply to posting #4140 (BSD Educator Job Fair) at jobs.bethelsd.org.
- The annual Technology Fair and Art Festival is scheduled for January 26 at Spanaway Lake High School from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be lots to do and see including a coding creation station, escape rooms, a robotics competition, and incredible art displays from across the district. We hope to see you there!
- The Tacoma Stars of the Major Arena Soccer League are hosting a Bethel Rec Night to benefit the Bethel Recreation Association. $2 from every ticket to the team’s March 10 game against the Turlock Express will be donated to Bethel Rec. Click here to buy your tickets: https://bit.ly/2Fm6KV7
For the latest district news, visit facebook.com/bethelsd
1/14 MLK Assembly
1/16 Late Start
1/17 Winter Sports Social
1/21 No School—MLK Day
2/5 NAEP Testing (select students)
2/15 NO SCHOOL—Snow makeup day
2/18 NO SCHOOL—President’s Day
2/19 NO SCHOOL—Teacher work day
Feb 25-1 Spirit Week
SPORTS: A reminder that Girls’ soccer and Boys’ basketball begin on January 22. Paperwork must be completed in Family Access before a student is permitted to participate in sports. Physicals however are required to be delivered in person to the office and must be valid through the entire season. 6th graders may try out for all sports other than football.