At Graham-Kapowsin High School we believe that Orange and Blue Starts with YOU. This means bringing "Your personal best everyday," "Owning your future," and "Understanding we are one."
I encourage all students to get involved at GKHS through clubs, sports, activites, challenging classes, or anything else that helps them take ownership over GKHS. I encourage students to take at least one challenging class that will help them in their post-high school life, whether their path includes four-year university, technical college or an apprenticeship, the military, or some other exciting, career-oriented endeavor.
One of the most important factors in your student’s success is your involvement. The way you talk to your students about their education influences their academic success. Some of the items worth discussing include the following:
- Let students know that through their hard work they will increase their understanding in all subjects (including Math and Science).
- Encourage students to talk to teachers if they have concerns about grades or other issues in class. This helps teach students responsibility to work things out with supervisors. Let them know that it is okay to ask the teacher for help
- Set high expectations for achievement in school. Encourage students to take challenging classes throughout their high school experience, including during their senior year.
Other ways to be involved include the following:
- Become a partner with your student by communicating with teachers.
- Regularly monitor your student’s progress by calling teachers or online using Family Access.
- Call or email teachers, counselors or administrators when you have a question or concern.
- Join the GK Booster Club; the boosters provide many services to the school.
- Stay informed by reading the school mailings, sent every other month.
- Visit the school and teachers’ websites
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at GKHS at 253-683-6100.