A Message from Mr. Brauer
Dear Centennial Parents and Students,
I am excited to welcome you to Centennial Elementary School. The staff at Centennial is preparing to welcome all students and begin the 2018-2019 school year. For those of you new to our school and/or district, you will find a staff of exceptional people that have a reputation of creating a learning environment that is warm and demanding.
My name is Chris Brauer, principal at Centennial. As principal, I value building relationships and student achievement, and I’m clear on the belief that all students can and will learn. Centennial Elementary is a participating member of “No Excuses University.” A program that helps define the culture at Centennial. The premise challenges students to realize their full academic and social potential, ensuring each student is prepared for college or any post high school program, should they choose that path.
Student Drop Off/Pick Up: Our student drop-off and pick-up zones changed last year. I want to thank all parents for their patience and support in helping create a safer process for our students. Our student exchange zone will continue to flow on the west end of our parking lot between the portables and ILC classrooms. Signs are marked to direct parents, and staff/volunteers will be out to assist the first week of school.
Reminders: (Please reference maps as a visual)
- Drop-off/Pick-up students in designated areas only (This area is outlined in yellow along the curbside – Multiple cars should be able to drop off and pick up at anytime along the designated area).
- Students will exit and enter the right side of the vehicle directly adjacent to roadside curb (students should never walk in front of or behind the vehicle).
- Staff will assist students getting in and out of the vehicle as needed.
- Parents will continue to flow out of the circle, yielding only to busses entering/exiting campus.
- Parents may be asked to leave the drop-off/pick-up loop and park their cars in the designated parking area if students are late to parent pick up.
- Daycare vans will have designated parking area during student pick-up only. Staff will walk all daycare-designated students to the appropriate vehicle.
- Please don’t drop your students off before 8:00am (The doors open for breakfast at 8:10am / The doors open for remaining students at 8:15am).
- Please do not line up in the loop prior to 2:45pm – 15 minutes before school gets out.
* Please notify the office prior to 2:00 regarding any student transportation changes (parent pick-up / bus).
* Parents who wish to walk their students into school, please pull in and park in the designated visitor parking area; however, this is not a zone for parents to drop students off.
Back To School Meet & Greet: This event will be held on Wednesday, September 4th from 2:30pm – 3:30pm. You will have the opportunity to:
- Meet teachers
- Visit Classrooms
Open House: This event will be held Thursday, September 27th from 5:00PM – 7:00PM.
- Learn about, sign up for, pay for a variety of things during our "Centennial Info Fair" including:
- Volunteer applications
- Volunteer opportunities (Trunk or Treat, Winter Wonderland, Dr. Seuss Night, Career Day, Watch Dogs and more)!
- Learn about your students’ grade level core curriculum with grade level teachers.
- Sign the NEU (No Excuses University) commitment poster.
To all new incoming students and parents, I welcome you to the Centennial family. The staff at Centennial looks forward to working with you both this year and the years to come. Ways for parents to partner with the school and support your student this year are as follows:
- Have your student to school prepared and on time each day. School attendance is important and a main indicator for student success.
- Checking your student’s backpack and discussing its contents as well as your student’s day.
- Initiating communication with your student’s teacher to ensure a positive school experience.
- Signing in and out of the office each time you visit.
Lastly, I want to be clear that educating our students is a partnership with the school and home. I want to encourage parents to take the opportunity to get involved and share this journey with us.
Upcoming Important Dates:
September 4th – Back to School Meet & Greet / 2:30pm – 3:00pm
September 6th – First Day of School / All Grades K – 5 / 8:30am – 3:00pm
September 6th – 14th / Kindergarten Adventure
September 17th, 18th, and 19th / Kindergarten WA Kids Testing
September 27th – Open House Back 2 School BBQ 5:30-7:30pm
October 10th- Picture Day
Feel free to contact the Centennial office staff or myself if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks for being part of the Centennial family; have a wonderful school year!
Chris Brauer/Angie Howard and the Centennial Elementary Staff