Welcome to Elk Plain K-8’s one-stop shop for Student Athletes! Our goal is to centralize the sign up, transportation, and communication systems here at Elk Plain to improve the experience for students AND their parents. Participating in sports at your neighborhood school is an excellent experience and we want to support you! It’s also a bit complicated, so please follow the directions below.
Elk Plain Student Athletes have 3 options for being transported for Sports.
- Parents provide transportation to neighborhood school (please see note below).
- Student rides bus to neighborhood school. NOTE: For students participating on Frontier or Cougar Mountain teams, using this option will result in arriving late to practice.
- Ride the bus, but rather than participate on their neighborhood school team, students may choose a closer school that feeds the same high school. Example: A student’s neighborhood school is Frontier. They may choose to participate at Liberty which is closer to Elk Plain, but still feeds GK. This option allows students to ride the bus and not miss significant parts of practice.
Notes on Parent Transportation
- Student Athletes will be released from their final class of the day 10 minutes early so that they can get ready and/or be picked up.
- Parents picking up student athletes may park in the grass parking lot just west of the portables. This will allow easy access in and out. Students may go directly to their parents’ car.
Transportation on Game Days
Student athletes and families will be provided with an ‘At a Glance’ calendar of competitions for the locations of all competitions during that season. The calendar will also contain a box identifying what Elk Plain bus goes to which destination. A Season Bus pass will be issued to Elk Plain Student Athletes so that they can ride any of these buses.
Parents may also choose to transport their students to competitions.
Centralized Sign Ups at Elk Plain
Before each sports season (Fall, Winter 1, Winter 2, and Spring) Elk Plain will set up a 2-week window for students to sign up for sports.
During the 2-week pre-season window:
- Students may sign up in the Elk Plain Office on our in house roster. This helps us to create a centralized roster of who is participating at what school. Please have parent email address handy. We would also like to know your transportation decision during this process.
- Online Paperwork
All of the Bethel School District’s Athletic Paperwork is now online. Some of this paperwork requires parents to fill out information about insurance as well as electronically signing forms. While we can assist families with this in our office, we highly recommend doing this at home. When students do their initial sign up in our office, they will be shown the appropriate links on our webpage so that they can navigate to it with their parents.
Here’s what you’ll find:
- Links to each of the district middle schools. Clicking on the link will not only take you to the forms, it will also make sure to route those forms to the school where you’ll be turning out.
- A step by step guide to each page you’ll see including what to click for Elk Plain. There’s quite a number of pages!
Note: Your physical form will have to be turned in to Elk Plain. We will scan a copy to the school where you’ll turn out and keep the original on file at Elk Plain.
For video instructions on how to sign up click here.
- ASB and Pay to Participate
This one sounds complicated, but the end result is that you’ll be able to pay your fees (ASB, pay to participate) online through Family Access. Your host school’s ASB Clerk will put these charges on your student account as a fine. Don’t worry, you won’t be in trouble! This allows families to pay online through Family Access.
Other Things Affecting Student Athletes
Space for Changing
Changing: During Winter 1 and 2 seasons, numbers of athletes are low and changing will be accommodated at Elk Plain in the restrooms opposite the gym. During Fall and Spring seasons, we will determine the space needed and adapt, with the most likely changing location being the restrooms in the portable classrooms.
Although we have a limited number of combination lockers we will offer students, these lockers are very narrow and in poor shape. Space is at a premium at Elk Plain and we will work with each individual to try and find a workable solution for storage. SPECIAL NOTE FOR FOOTBALL PLAYERS: It will be challenging to store equipment such as helmets and shoulder pads. Please try to coordinate keeping these items either with your coach or at home.
- Parents’ emails will be collected during the sign up process. Elk Plain will then create email groups each season and use them to update parents when there are changes such as rain outs or cancelled games/practices.
- An updated Webpage with…
At a glance calendar of games for the season and buses that will take students from Elk Plain to the competitions.
Links to each school for online forms