April 23, 2020
Greetings PCSC Students & Families,
I hope this email finds you and your families healthy and well. First, I want to thank all of you for your patience. I know that not having answers to very important questions can be frustrating and unsettling. I appreciate you understanding that we only want to provide updates when we have factual information and guidance. The last thing we want to do is add to any frustration by having to change the plan more than is necessary. Although our buildings are closed, teaching and learning is moving forward. To our students, thank you for continuing to engage with your teachers and course content. As I said in an earlier email, preparing you for the "real world" is what we do...we never imagined life would give us a lesson on flexibility and adaptability of this magnitude, but we know you will continue to keep your head up and work hard.
With that being said, we have attendance, grade, and end of year information to share with you. Please let us know if you are having any difficulty accessing your course content or other barriers that are interfering with your success - we are here to help! For your reference, at the bottom of the email, I have provided links to the OSPI reports.
- Students will earn a letter grade: A, B, C or INC for their PCSC class for Trimester 3
- Students who do not meet standard (C grade or above) will be issued an INC (incomplete) and will not earn credit for the course
- PCSC does not offer D grades
- Gradebook & F’s: an F grade will still show up in the gradebook until final grades are issued, at that time an F will be entered as INC
- Starting Monday, April 27, PCSC teachers will be taking attendance
- Attendance is only entered one day a week, every Monday, and reflects the student’s level of participation and progress for the week prior
- Teachers will use the following criterion when taking attendance and you will see the following codes on the attendance report:
- Present (no visible code): Student is fully engaged - participating and turning in work
- Tardy (T code): Student is making contact but not turning in work or work does not meet standard
- Absent (UN code): Student has had no contact with teacher and/or has not turned in any work
Credit Equivalencies are the high school academic credits that students earn in their respective programs. There is no change to the credit equivalencies students will earn at PCSC for Trimester 3.
Dual Credit (College Credit)
There is no change to the academic requirements for earning Dual Credit. Students must earn a C or better for the year, as well meet 80% of the competencies. PCSC is in a good position with dual credit because of the amount of time students were already with us this year. However, some programs may be impacted. Our teachers are currently reviewing all articulation agreements and if your program is impacted, students will hear from me directly by the end of next week.
Senior Awards & Honor Cords
We will still be honoring our students who would have been recognized at our Annual Senior Awards Night (SkillsUSA State Qualifiers, Honor Roll, and Seniors of the Year). We are working on a few different ideas and will let you know as soon as we have a solid plan.
Need Skyward Access
Email Paulla Hockaday at firstname.lastname@example.org
OSPI Reports & Resources
- Student Learning & Grading
- Continuous Learning During School Closures